Sunday, January 22, 2017

trying zigs again with flower garden

Hi. Happy Saturday! I'm back again for more "slow-blogging" ;) Could almost make you think Spring had arrived in my front yard, eh?


If you saw yesterday's post, you saw my latest attempt at watercoloring florals with Zig clean color brush pens. I was way too heavy-handed and not happy with the result. I figured it was time to try, try again. So I googled. And came across this video gem from Kristina W. Oh to know where to put which colors to get such amazing results, which I admit may not be realistic, but oh so pleasing to my eye.

I happen to have NBUS Tim Holtz Flower Garden stamps too, so after I heat embossed some blooms onto watercolor paper I basically colored along with Kristina! So nice of her not to mind when I kept making her back up and color that middle flower just ONE MORE TIME ;)

Here's my finished card.


The center flower is exactly like Kristina's, colored with Yellow and Light Carmine. This is a great image to practice on cuz 1) the petals are large and 2) you can totally copy Kristina's method. On the left peony I used only Pink, using a second layer of it in some areas. On the right one I used Pink, Purple and a few touches of Wine Red. I actually used Light Blue and Pale Green on the stems.

To hint at a sky I inked up sentiments from STAMPlorations Vignette: Artful Flutters (top half with Tumbled Glass, bottom with Broken China) and stamped them over the flower which I masked. Added a hint of edgy Scrapbook Werkstatt So ist das Leben PP to tie in with the blue tone.

What I learned about watercoloring with Zigs? Don't start with a tiny image to practice this technique. Don't work on the entire flower at one time; only on smaller areas. Use a light hand - multiple light layers is the key. Let layers dry. Use a rag to dab up wet color if you feel you've been too heavy handed.

I did even more playing with my Zigs after this project, making a whole set of cards. You'll be seeing them soon. Just keep watching!

I'm going over to the playhouse to play with Darnell's NBUS #8. She's got lots to celebrate and is actually challenging us to give colored pencils on kraft a try, but I'm translating that to watercolors on watercolor paper ;)


Oh, and one more question for you. Don't worry, it's an easy one today ;) Anyone ever had a Pentel Aquash waterbrush that leaks where the tank screws into the barrel? I get a blob of water on the outside of the brush when I squeeze the tank. The blob eventually drips onto my project. Not good. (I had had to take mine apart to unclog it - which worked - but after putting it back together I ran into this problem.) I did my watercoloring of these flowers with a number 4 brush and water!

Enjoy your weekend.

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow! This is gorgeous, Maria! You have captured the beauty of a spring garden beautifully! Thanks for the video link.

Krisha said...

Hi Maria,
Thank you for coming to visit my blog and leave such a nice comment......which lead me to YOUR blog. *grin*
This is a gorgeous card, well done on the watercolor effect. I LOVE this for card making!
I tend to use markers and a paint brush......learned it from the AI (Art Impressions) blog, but I am going to check out the link you provided too.

Mac Mable said...

Glorious colours, very striking and thank you for the link x

Darnell said...

Maria, what can I say! You have perfectly CASEd Kristina! This is magnificent! Drop-jaw gorgjus! Now I'm going to have to sit down when these challenges are over and do the same because in one session you have impressed me HUGELY with how you are now handling your Ziggies!! And if you want to translate cp/k into wc/wp, I'm gonna let you! Thank you for playing again in #8! Hope to see you back again next week!! Hugs, Darnell

cm said...

Maria, your amazing results have given me incentive to try yet again with my zigs (although I only 12, and it's staying that way until I figure these babies out!). Your trio of blooms: stunning! Excited for your reveal of the others. I'll be catching up on your gallery soon; composing my thoughts re: slow-blogging which, by the way, I love! Off to watch Kristina's video...
Hugs~c

JenniferE said...

So pretty! Love the colors...great job! Love the "slow blogging"!

Diane Jaquay said...

I love your results on this card, Maria, you really used the Zigs beautifully! I have a love/hate relationship with my waterbrush, it often releases more water than I'd like it to, even when I'm not squeezing it, and sometimes I have better luck with a plain old paintbrush and jar of water (I don't have a Pentel brush and my brush doesn't leak at the barrel, just too much comes out at the top).

Ruth said...

Absolutely gorgeous and you seem to have cracked the Zig colouring, something I never quite managed. I keep hearing so much these days about using light layers in all forms of colouring to get good dimension and shading and depth. I should stick it up as a mantra on my wall! Can't help with the brush, I have a Derwent which I rather like. Xx

Suchi said...

What a striking card Maria! Your coloring with Zig is fab!! Loved this card! :)
Hugs
Suchi xx

Susanne Vargas said...

You are a fast learner! These blooms are absolutely perfect and spectacular! Love everything about this card! Will watch the video but not tonight as it's almost bed time for me...
Can't help you with the brush. I believe I have a Pentel, but it's fairly new and haven't used it that much so no problems so far!

Loll said...

Amazing watercolouring Maria. And thanks for the link to Kristina's video! Isn't it wonderful that you can play it over and over and they don't get annoyed! :) I do that too! Love the design of this card ... such airiness and gorgeous colours. xx

Anita in France said...

Wow, Maria ... really WOW! These blooms are beautiful ... such stunning colouring ... need to watch that video ... dinner can wait! Hugs, Anita :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...