Sunday, May 5, 2013

better left to photoshop (Moxie Fab)


Did you see the Five for Friday feature over at Moxie Fab two weeks ago?  If you clicked on Cath's links you might have visited the Colossal site and seen the amazing Double Exposure portraits by Sara K. Byrne.  The cherry blossom gal would be me - you may have seen this card and this one - I've been quite inspired by the trees around our house.

Well, I put my "I can do that" hat on and set about making a card.  My plan?  Stamp a cherry blossomed tree coming in from the side and layer vellum over a part of it with my profile cut out of it.  Figured that would make the ultimate Mother's Day card.


The cherry blossomed tree worked fine.  I forgot to take a photo of my first step which was the branches and then the teensy blooms from the CASual Fridays Calm and Gentle treetop stamp (the circle on the block upper left).  Perfect for this.  I used multi-generational stamping in Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick Distress and Chewing Gum Jenny Bowlin, spritzing the stamp with water sometimes before stamping.  And therefore I'm parking this at the Wonder of Watercolor challenge at Moxie Fab.

The photo above was after the next step, stamping the same way with some individual tiny blooms from Technique Tuesday, as well as with some white pigment ink.  Still all systems a go.

On copy paper I printed a B/W photo of me taken from the side.  TIP:  It's an easy way to achieve that silhouette we used to do in school with overhead projector and black construction paper.   Put vellum over the photo and traced my silhouette , then fussy cut.  Um, Houston, we've got a problem.


How to achieve the break between the vellum and non-vellum?  How to attach the vellum cuz it needs to be raised a bit to have the effect?  Sentiment?  Ugh.

My solution:  Tear the vellum, leaving only half of the silhouette.  Stamp a few more cherry blossoms to mimic the form of my silhouette.  Use whopper glue dots to achieve the height.  Stamp the only Mother's Day sentiment I have in blue - blue?  Where'd that idea come from????

Result:  Not satisfied.  But not willing to do it again.  So here it is for you to learn from.  Want this effect? Better leave it to Photoshop!



Supplies happy mother's day:
Paper: cardbase Craft UK, vellum The Paper Company 
Stamps: branch Artemio, leaves CASual Fridays, blooms Technique Tuesday, sentiment Jane's Doodles
Ink : Rich Cocoa Memento, Distress, Jenny Bowlin, teal pigment Inkadinkado
Tools:  scissors
Other: glue dots Zots







13 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

This is totally RAD!!!!!

shirley-bee said...

I saw that feature, it was fascinating! Promptly marched off with my camera, looking for subject matter, then found out there's an awful lot more I need to learn about my camera (and photography in general!) before I could achieve anything like that! I love how you've transferred the principle to card, and the cherry blossom background is fab.

Petti said...

I am in love of that cherry blossom background! Gorgeous!

D said...

Your card is simply stunning. I love the vellum effect.

Jenny said...

Great idea Maria and I love the effect, great job for trying it out :0) the cherry blossom background is beautiful it's just a shame that velum is so pigging difficult to attach unnoticed :0( so glad you showed us anyhow :0)
Jenny x

LeAnne said...

Well, I think your idea was terrific....and I just LOVE the tree image! I was drawn to your sample in the gallery right away! I agree, it's hard to attach the vellum, but I think if you ever do it again, just put a little dab of glue under the corners. It's really very, very pretty....and you're quite creative! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players this week!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Maria! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Karen Dunbrook said...

so pretty and unique...

Holly Anderson said...

Well, would you look at that!

Holly Anderson said...

Well, would you look at that!

Holly Anderson said...

Well, would you look at that!

Holly Anderson said...

Well, would you look at that!

Holly Anderson said...

Well, would you look at that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...