Wednesday, May 15, 2013

gift tags in a bag (Catered Crop, Lessology, Moxie)

Big post comin' at ya.

I was thrilled to win a spot as Guest Designer for the Fabric of Friendship Recipe Swap at Catered Crop so the plan began.  Fabric.  Hmmm, make a flower?  Use fabric for a card front?  Well, if you check out the challenge, you'll see a board of ideas Linda has put together including two CAS beauties which look like they have an element of the design done in patchwork.  So my gears started rolling.

Tomorrow is girlfriend's bday.  Guess what she's getting?  Gift tags. I sure hope all my friends think they are just as good for hanging around the neck of a wine bottle as I do...  Maybe I should just start making wine bottle tags like Erin T....

So how about if I edged the tag with "patchwork" - that looks fabric-y - and stamped a simple image onto fabric (recycled canvasy stuff)?  Then it occurred to me to use PTI Button Bits in keeping with the fabric theme.  Done deal.  Here's my fave of the bunch:




And here's the bunch:


Die cut tags in two different sizes - once from CS and once from canvas.  Cut strips of PP (it's a Christmas PP pack from Penny Black! - wanted primary colors) and cut the strips into different sized pieces.  Adhesive  around the edges then I stuck them on randomly  (such fun for all you control freaks out there).  Stamped the images with Versafine and sewed on the buttons.  Glued and stitched the fabric tags to the paper tags, punched a hole and added seam binding.  Hmmm, how to package them?

Just bought a T-shirt at Aldi and was throwing away the packaging when I thought "hey I could sew myself a small pouch out of that and the tags will be visible through it."  Done deal.  TIP:  Sewing machines don't like slippery plastic.  Use temporary adhesive to lightly adhere the plastic to a piece of paper (the feed dog - is it really called that? - likes paper better than plastic), sew and then carefully tear away the paper.  I even stitched at the top of the packaging so I could use the sticky foldover flap.  A die cut patchwork heart, a sentiment stamped on a fabric scrap and a tiny clothespin and she's good to go.


Whew.  Oh, I'm also playing at Lessology - #25 For the love of fabric and Moxie Fab's The Gift Tag Challenge as well as The Gift Packaging Challenge.

Note:  I'm still reeling from my watercolor related wins over at Moxie Fab.  Playing with colors is SO MUCH FUN and there is so much inspiration over there to be had.  The challenge is over but you must check out the gallery if you haven't.



Supplies tag set:
Paper: CS scraps, PP Penny Black
Stamps: Papertrey
Ink: Versafine
Tools: die MFT, sewing machine
Other: buttons Sew Sweet, needle/crochet thread, seam binding

34 comments:

Michelle said...

These are incredible! I love the way you packaged them. Very clever! Your friends are going to love these!

Jingle said...

These are so stinking fabulous! WOW! Love them so much!

Betty said...

Total süße Idee :-)

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like you're going to win over at Moxie again; love the way you stamped on the fabric and then sewed the buttons on; I think my fave is the topiary one, but they're all really cute; love the packaging and the cute little tag clipped on with the ladybug!

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Beautiful tags Maria. Love how you used the buttons - they are all gorgeous, but my favourite is the cherries tag!
Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my SU blog.
Sylvia x

Geri said...

Ah, Maria...this cream fabric looks so nice with the stamping and buttons against those sweet patterns!!! Cute as a button!!! Thanks for the widget!!!

Wida said...

Feeling inspired by your quilt tags :) I love looking at your blog, there is always fresh ideas and color palates :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Just wanted to let you know how happy I am that you are one of the Tuesday Trigger winners because I thought your cards were absolutely beautiful. Those flowers were so delicate, almost like the real things!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Oh my, so adorable!!!! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology!

yyam said...

Ooooh...soooooo cute! I love all the fabric tags and the packaging for them too. Love the stamping! A simple idea, fabulously executed.

Congrats on your guest designer gig and your win over at MFW!
Thanks so much for joining us at LESSology!

shirley-bee said...

Fabulous! Love the random patchwork layer (love the control freak reference!), and the canvas contrasts so well with it. The button bits are ideal. The packaging - above and beyond!!

sheila 77 said...

These are such very attractive fabric and paper tags, and how clever to make the see-through pouch. I like the clarity of design on the tags.

alexandra s.m. said...

Love your project Maria!
I spotted the Madison Paper collection right away and love the tags your created!
Thank You~

Martha said...

Maria, congratulations, on your Guest Design win & all your other wins!!
Hello...did someone say TAGS!!? (I love making tags & tag-cards!)
I love...love...love...these adorably SWEET tags with tags & buttons!
AND, the clear bag is such a FUN way to package them!
You've used the Madison Paper SO beautifully! Great job!
I love your creativity!



Sharli Schaitberger said...

WooHOo, I love these tags! This is a nifty gift idea - I know I would love to have a bag of tags handy - especially ones that are as wonderful as these are! Thanks for the inspiration - once again!
Hugs!!

Silke Ledlow said...

OMG...these are fabulous tags...LOVE THEM ALL! Thank you so much for playing the Catered Crop Fabric Challenge with us...hugs ~S~

Shahrul Niza said...

Hi, Maria!. I love love your tags, they're so delicious!!. Thanks so much for your sweet comment for my junk journal @ Yvonne's. I'm so happy that you'd played along with making a little stitched bag for them!. HUGS.

Kanan Pandya said...

Love your gift tags, beautifully done. Each one is superb. :-)

Petti said...

I really love your gift tags. They are gorgeous!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Awesome!!!

Unknown said...

beautiful gift and perfect presentation! another moxie fab win awaits thee! :)

Lynnda said...

These tags are so pretty!!!! Simple but yet so beautiful!... Congrats on your guest designer gig and your win over at MFW!
Thanks so much for joining us at LESSology! ..hugs...x

Hema said...

They look so lovely... Happy to follow you..

Would love to c u in my blog
hapyexperimenting.blogspot.com

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Maria! Thanks for linking this up to the Gift Tag Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Maria! Thanks also for linking this up to the Gift Packaging Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun there as well! :)

Kelly Griglione said...

YAY, congrats Maria!!! You are super Moxie Fab!!

Amazing packaging too ... great tip to use paper to help sew the plastic!

My Paper Epiphany said...

So much wonderful-ness here! I adore the whole feel of the patchwork with that very yummy canvas fabric, the buttons, the stamping on the fabric and the random stitching!!! Congrats on your win!

shirley-bee said...

Well done on the Moxie Fab win, Maria!

Contagiously Crafty said...

Congrats on the Moxie Fab win, Maria! Your tag set is ever so clever and delightful. You lead off the winners in a fine fashion and should be very pleased. Great inspiration!

Nancy Penir said...

Just a warning, I'm so creating tags that look very similar to these! My daughter, the jewelry maker that gets my tags will love them! Who wouldn't? Congrats on the MFW win, love everything about these!

zub momi said...

Congrats on the Moxie Fab win! Your tag is gorgeous. I love the fabric, stamping, colors and everything about this elegant tag :)

Jacqueline said...

Congratulations Maria, I hadn't seen this post yet - I am amazed at your creativity - beautiful, beautiful work!!

Paula S. said...

These are just fabulous! Congrats on your Moxie Fab win.

Barb Ghig said...

Congrats to you on your Moxie Fab win...your tags are absolutely darling!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...