Saturday, December 15, 2012

tag a la sharon h. (Ellen Hutson, Color Q, Craft Room, Catered Crop)

If you love new techniques and have a bit of time you really should check out the 12 Tags of Christmas with a Feminine Twist over at Ellen Hutson's Classroom.  Ellen does a take on Tim Holtz's 12 Tags.  But there's lotsa pink!

My tag is inspired by Sharon H.'s tag on Day 1.  Hers is elegant and shiny and really girly.  Mine is... well mine.


I must thank this challenge for getting me to ink up my brayer (bought one awhile back - everyone has to have a brayer, right? - hadn't used it til now).  TIP:   Distress Inks are marvelous for lots of things.  Brayering is not one of them apparently.  Notice the spottiness to my BG.

I used the colors from Color Q #167:
Sorta.  Used DI Evergreen Bough cuz it's kinda green/gray for my BG.  Brayered it onto a Sizzix embossing plate and dry embossed the white CS.  See why I wouldn't recommend using DI for this???  Spritzed with copper Perfect Pearls mist to give it a little sheen.  Cut the top of the tag with a Spellbinders die for interest. TIP:  Don't do this if you plan to stitch around the edges.  Note the word "plan"...

Well the stitching happened cuz I decided to make this a gift-card-holder-tag (Ellen did this on her tag for Day 12 - Duh!  What a super idea!)  I had dry embossed a piece of red CS for the poinsettia petal strips and used the rest of it for interest on the front and a pocket on the back of the tag.


Got the idea for the poinsettia here at Basic Grey.  Obviously not mailable, but this is a tag.  It works.


Used two colors of green for the die cut snowflakes for the center of the bloom (and on the back pocket) and a cool brad too.  Mounted it on a die cut PTI green bloom for a bit more interest and "hold".  TIP:  Always have a bottle of Glossy Accents on hand.  It dries shiny (guess that's the point of "glossy" accents, eh?) but holds better than any other glue I know.

Whew, long post.  I'm joining the fun at:
Craft Room Challenge - Make a Tag
Catered Crop - Tag, You're It

Appreciate your visit.



Supplies for Merry Christmas:
Paper: CS TPC Studio, American Crafts
Stamps: sentiment 7 Gypsies
Ink : Distress Ink, Jenny Bowlin
Tools: brayer, dies - snowflakes Marianne Creatables, border Amuse, tag top Spellbinders, sewing machine, embossing plate Sizzix
Other:  pearl, sheer ribbon, glue dots, brad 


12 comments:

Darnell said...

This is spectacular, Maria! I have to say, for this tag anyway, I love the spotty background. To me it looks like a frosty winter's day! Really love the pocket in the back for a gift card!!

Shelly said...

Wow what a stunning tag Maria! I hope the person that recieves a gift with this tag on it will really appreciate all your beautiful work! Shelly x

shirley-bee said...

I thought the background was intentional (and I like it!). You could have got away with it. Love the poinsettia.

Wida said...

that first tag is a show stopper! I like the brad in the middle and the color combination very much!

Geri said...

Gorgeous, Maria!!! I am loving your tags...keep on sharin', girl!!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Kim,
As for the spotty background on the first tag - I love it and was hoping you would explain how you did that in your text! LOL So, you're saying that using a brayer with distress ink turns to spots? Was your brayer a sponge one or a solid rubber one? Was the distress ink a white? I'm very confused and would love to learn how to re-create this fabulous look! I also love the addition of the little pocket on the back - very clever!
Hugs!!

Mad for Paper said...

Beautiful. Love the quilled flower.
Ang

Zoechaos said...

Wonderful tag, love the poinsetta topper. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

Sylvia said...

Cute tag, Maria, so festive! thanks for sharing your tag with us at the colourQ, Happy Holidays!

savvy teaching tips said...

Great tags. They're so elegant! Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Q!

Debi said...

Maria, these are Gorgeous- love all the texture and they are so elegant, thanks for joining us at the Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

hazel said...

A beautiful tag. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...