Thursday, May 8, 2014

CASAF... (STAMPlorations, ATCAS, Moxie Fab)

... as in "clean-and-simple-artsy-fartsy".  Cuz that's how I described my style back in my Moxie Fabber of the Week interview, all the while thinking that the two really don't go together.  Hmm.

Well hear ye, hear ye - Make a CAS card and make it grungy.  Huh?

Kylie heads off to Europe and leaves us with a challenge like that! Proves that there is room in the world for CASAF!


Well the first thing that came to mind was my STAMPlorations Holiday Artsy stamp set. And as I was admiring the cards in the gallery I stumbled upon this card from Loli.  And in her post, talking about "creatividad", she included this photo.

Image Source


Me gusto muchisimo! It'd make me so dang happy to think that my brain looked a little like this. Had to share it with you!

So I took my stamps, lotsa Distress Paint, the current sketch at STAMPlorations and this is what happened.  And before you ask, one line in the copy under "right brain" in the ad reads "I am the sound of roaring laughter" which instantly brought Katy Perry to mind. Thus my sentiment... figure I can add "it's your birthday" on the inside later.


Took a scrap of watercolor paper (note I left it the shape it was - left brain) and heat embossed my hand-lettered sentiment before smooshing the panel into some spritzed yellow Distress Paint. TIP: Use an embossing pen to hand-letter a sentiment.


When dry, hit it with some purple, pink, orange and green paint then spritz and watch the magic (right brain) happen. TIP: You can stop the magic anytime you want (left brain) with a dab of paper towel.


Repeat for another layer. Remember, I was going for the feel of the "right brain" in the ad.


When dry, I pulled out the stamps, splotched some paint onto my craft sheet and stamped with it. Used the block shape and a brush stroke stamp.


Then some yellow "coffee stains" and after I dried them I repeat stamped the wavy brush stroke at the left, hit it with water only there and let the paint flow.  A la the ad. (very right brain - you OCDers are freakin' out about now)


Waste not, want not, ya know? TIP: Mop up the leftovers with scrap CS or tracing paper.  I also re-heat-embossed the sentiment cuz Distress Paints don't really work with the emboss resist technique even if you wipe the embossing up after every layer.  TIP: Do your embossing after the panel is finished ;) Then came the three graphic strips (left brain)  and voila!


Hooking up at the Moxie Fab Handwriting challenge too. Thanks for sticking around for my oration on CASAF!  Have a good one.


Supplies for ROAR:
Paper:  CS Bringmann, watercolor paper
Stamps: STAMPlorations, chaos Alexandra Renke
Ink :  Versafine
Tools: embossing pen
Other: Distress paint, black embossing powder









13 comments:

sandie said...

So totally creative Maria, and great to see how you built this card up and that is some fabulous sentiment! Thanks for joining us at ATCAS

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I can see Katy Perry as an inspiration…

Anita in France said...

Wow, Maria ... what a stunning right brain/left brain fusion ... such a striking, unstructured 'roar' panel against the gorgeous graphic black strips! Thanks so much for playing along with ATCAS! Anita :)

Tracey McNeely said...

Seriously you must love getting messy! This is fantastic Maria! The results are so cool!

Susanne Vargas said...

Wow, what a cool card! Loved to see and read about the process that took you there! And that add is awesome!

Deepti said...

That's a work of art, u r so creative . I truly inspired !

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Well, you solved that grungy CAS problem perfectly! Love your tutorial! Too bad you could not be part of the STAMPlorations blog hop - that damn post office - I am sure you'll get them eventually. I never really had anything be lost forever - although one package took several years - the T-shirts that I had send ended up being too small for the kids they were intended to...Have a great weekend!

Cris G. said...

Well, I confess that I was a little apprehensive on your 4th and 5th photos (left brain), but when I saw the finished card I had to say WOW. I wasn't expecting the massive win of your right brain. Just as CASAF as it can gets (Clean And Simple And Fabulous)!!!

Marlena M. said...

Very cool Maria! I love the CAS-tamed burst of grunge~you nailed it. ;)

Joni Andaya said...

How FUN is this Maria!!! So COOL!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

Boy did I enjoy following your left AND right brain as they worked together to come up with this super-creative and playful card. You are so patient to take pics during your process. I'm always too anxious to see what it's going to look like first, and then of course, there is no going backwards. Awesome card and post, maria f.!!!

shirley-bee said...

So fabulously right-brain! Love the colour and the mess - so exciting! For I fear I am a bear of very little left brain.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. Looks like you had lots of fun. Love your bright colours and CASAF style. have a great day! hugs Monika xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...