Sunday, January 13, 2013

b/w with splashes (SSS, Moxie Fab)


OK, so the call was for B/W with a splash.  At Simon Says Stamp - Black/White and a Splash of Color. Couldn't keep it simple.  While cleaning up my crafting space I found some tags I had made and decided to put them onto cards.   With splatters.  Which became splashes.  Many.


Die cut a PTI tag from a recycled gift card and spiced it up with a circle from a kleenex box, two leaves from a friend's artwork, a tissue paper flower and some beads.  Attached that to a cardbase which was splattered, washi-taped and sequined (would that be with a double "n"???).  A sentiment alongside the tag and voila.


Pretty much the same story here but I used the packaging from an embossing folder for the tag.  And I was going for the "10 Embellishments on a Card"  challenge at Moxie Fab World, so there's even a button and some twine!

Note (1):  This challenge would probably have been impossible for me were it not for sequins.  Love 'em.  So "party".  And mailable.

Note (2):  You don't want to know how many rolls of washi I own... but notice the strip in the middle.  It's homemade.  If you own a Xyron/sticker machine, tissue paper and stamps you really don't have to add washi to your stash.  Why don't I follow my own advice???

Note (3):  Splatters.  A science on its own - which makes me think maybe I should ask Debby H. about this - how to create the perfect splatter?  It probably has something to do with Cell Biology ;)  Anyhoo, I used Dylusions spray inks.  Take another gander at card #1.  Here I removed the sprayer and flicked it at my cardbase.  Little splatters.  Lots of them on my workspace.  So I flipped the card over and sopped them up.  Now you know where those funny orange ones came from - pink + yellow = orange.

For card #2 I pulled out an eyedropper.  I tried to get a tiny bit of ink into it.  Maybe it depends on the size of the dropper but I got huge drops.  Which probably would have taken three days to dry.  Which led me to blow on them.  Which led to drippy looking splatters.  WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THAT ONE PERFECT LITTLE PINK ONE SITTING ATOP MY WATERMARK HEART.  DID YA SEE IT?
Now, of course it doesn't match the others, which makes all us control freaks crazy, but alas it is possible.  I think it was the last tiny drop of ink which probably came out with a big puff of air when I squeezed the eyedropper.  More experimentation necessary.

Assuming you're still here, I'd love to know how you make splatters?



Supplies for cards:
Paper: CS Neenah, recycled artwork, packaging and tissue paper
Stamps: sentiment Klartext, BG for washi CHF
Ink : Dylusions, Versafine
Tools: eyedropper, die leaves Spellbinders, others PTI
Other: washi, sequins, button, twine


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful designs Maria. I love that black floral washi...it grabbed my attention and now I need some for myself lol. As for splatters, I remove the sprayer from the bottle and tap it about 6" above the CS. If I elongated splatter I still use the sprayer part and flick my hand instead. I use a box for either. I've covered everything on my desk before with those 'techniques' lol

Karen B. said...

I had emailed you back the other day too, hope you got it. Great and fun card!

shirley-bee said...

Wow, both of these are fab! I love the bright colours. Have you tried flicking the colour off the end of a brush? Or a toothbrush depending on how big/small you want the splats?

Kelly Griglione said...

Fun card, Maria! Great reminder about making your own washi tape too! With all the time we take trying to make the perfect splashes on our cards, you'd think someone would come out with a product that actually DOES that, right?!? Oh well, the process is half the fun!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love these splashes of color, congrats on winning some goodies over at the Craft's Meow.

Mandy said...

Gorgeous cards Maria, so pretty, I love the splashes and the brightness of the colours, these would definitely stand out in a crowd, love them :)
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Maria! Thanks for linking this up to the Use 10 Different Embellishments Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...