Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mixed Media Card Challenge #17

Have you seen the theme at the Mixed Media Card Challenge this month?


May I present my card. With a little explanation.


I am Kappa Kappa Gamma (sorority). My "little sister" from those days just celebrated her 50th and this card is for her. So I'm stretching the "family" theme a bit but I'm practical like that ;)

I started with a panel I had dry embossed with a selectively inked-up arrow embossing folder from The Paper Studio . That's what those touches of pink, green and blue are. And I was heading down the road, use-the-panel-as-my-card-front, which seems to be one of my go-to designs. But then I thought, "why not cut a portion out of it to use later on a CAS card and make a window in this card?". So I did.

I die cut the panel with Lil Inker Stitched Rectangles and die cut a square out of the panel. Pencilled where I wanted the window on my cardbase and die cut a square out of that too. And a frame out of pink CS to adhere to the inside of the card with the glittery "50" from MFT High Rise Alpha and my "it's your birthday" sentiment.

I added some subdued stamping in pink to my cardbase in the upper right and lower left corners using the text and number stamps from STAMPlorations Mixed Media Elements. Before adhering the dry embossed panel I gave it some more interest with embossing paste applied through a Pink Paislee Mask Doodles stencil. See the added texture on top of the dry embossing?


For more texture and dimension I head embossed "lil sis" on the die cut heart and added some light and dark blue sequins (Kappa colors!). This and a yummy German chocolate bar are on their way to "lil sis".

I'm hooking up at Seize the Birthday where it's Anything Goes and Mixed Media Monthly Challenge where it's all about Texture this month. And Jennifer McGuire's Kindness Campaign where this week is about Family and Friends.





11 comments:

Kim Heggins said...

Wonderful birthday card...love it.

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE LOVE!!!

shirley-bee said...

Love the idea of adding texture paste embossing on top of dry embossing!

Manuela said...

Eine coole Geburstagskarte!
Hab eben gesehen, dass meine Karte bei den Highlights in der" Mixed Media" dabei war, war eine schöne Überrasschung danke dir :-) Lg Manuela

Anita in France said...

Such a cool background, Maria ... the shimmery numbers are a fabulous contrast to the matte embossing! Hugs, Anita :)

Melanie said...

This is wonderful! Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog! ~ melanie ~

Julia Aston said...

Great texture and sparkle on this Maria!

cm said...

Such a sweet, colourful card for your 'little' sister'! I know she adores it, as do I1
hugs~c

Jodene said...

Great card design! Thanks for joining us at Seize The Birthday :)

Astrid Maclean said...

This is wonderful! I absolutely love what you did here, - thanks so much for adding it to our Texture challenge challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

Donna B. said...

Pretty card! Great texture. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...