Monday, November 9, 2015

Loll's mixed media christmas tag event

My subtitle to this post would be: "Um, Santa? He was just here..."




If you've arrived from day six at Stamping with Loll looking for my mixed media Christmas tag, you're in the right place. What an honor it is to be joining her lineup of tag makers for this event! If you're just here by chance, you must take a gander at the Mixed Media Christmas Tag Event happening over at Loll's place when you're done here. Talk about a sleighload of inspiration! Either way... welcome to the evolution of a mixed media tag!


I inked up a tag with DI and stamped a couple clouds then spritzed it with water/Perfect Pearls mix for a little shimmer. (I ended up adding even more Picked Raspberry up top for more contrast.)


Keeping the journey real here... I had thought I would make a stencil out of recycled cardboard (yes, the Oreos were yummy) with the IO Birch Trees die so I lined the trees up as I wanted them to be when I would apply texture paste.  But my spatial thinking skills stink and I hadn't realized I'd have to create my stencil with all the little negative pieces. Nixed that idea and die cut more trees and swiped gesso onto them. Twice.


And then added some interest to the tree bark using Pumice Stone DI and a Prima Crackle stamp (thanks, Loll!). Hit them with a heat tool to dry the ink.


Tore some snow banks from old dictionary and adhered them, roughing up the edges a bit. Notice I swiped the leftover gesso onto the snow banks to subdue the dictionary print a bit.


Die cut three Essentials by Ellen Laurel Wreaths to create my wreath and the Memory Box Holiday Hat. Chose a sentiment stamp from Technique Tuesday Holidays in a Box and heat embossed it on a snippet of black CS. Tested my layout before adhering the trees.


Don't you just love the puff paint on the fur of Santa's hat? And those gold glitter berries on the wreath? They came from the CC Designs Mistletoe die.


And my absolute favorite element of texture and dimension on this tag... the chunky glitter lining the snow banks! (Why didn't I buy the larger gold glitter too when I was at Hobby Lobby this summer?!?!?)


Here's the tag at the end of its journey. Often it seems my projects take on a life and story of their own as I go along. I knew I wanted this tag to be modern and playful. My "storyline" then evolved into Santa stopping by woods on a snowy evening. Doesn't it look like he just dropped his chalkboard and hat and stepped off-stage for a moment...


Long post, hope you stuck with it. I thought you might like to see the steps I took to create a mixed media project - one using stamps and ink and two additional elements adding texture and/or dimension.

TEXTURE: glitter, glitter CS, heat embossing, yarn
DIMENSION: torn dictionary pages, puff paint, die cuts

Have I inspired you to create a scene on a mixed media tag? If so, be sure to link up at Loll's challenge by November 22nd. There are wonderful prizes to be had ;) Thanks again to the uber-talented Loll for having me.

ETA: Had to join the Tag fun over at the new Happy Little Stampers mixed media challenge. And I'm hooking up at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge where it's about Texture.



25 comments:

Kathyk said...

What a fab tag and thanks for sharing the process too

Kathyk

Carol said...

A fabulous tag Maria, love all the detail you've added. Carol x

Loll said...

Oh my gosh. I LOVED your tag when I first saw it ... but then getting to follow along with every step of your creative process was just as exciting!! Thanks so much Maria!! I love every elements that you've added. You tag is a LOT of fun!! Thanks so much for Guest Designing at my Twelve Tags of Christmas event! xx

Linda said...

WOW! What a fabulous tag ...... love the bright colours. Great step by steps too .... thank you. Thanks for playing along with the HLS Mixed Media challenge too ...... Linda xx

Ruth said...

That's a fabulous tag - I love the story of its creation. You're a whizz at all this mixed media! xx

Happy Dance said...

Thanks, Maria for sharing your journey in making this marvelous tag. I always love to hear how crafters make their wonderful creations. This is just fantastic!!! Love the colors, the trees, the puffy edged Santa hat....oh heck, I love everything about this!! Way fabulous! Have a great week. Bev

Bonnie said...

This is fantastic and fun, Maria! Love Santa's hat with the puffy brim! Wonderful mix of elements!

Joyce said...

Wow--you are taking artistry and craftiness to a whole new level. Love your gorgeous tag.

Rushd Lady said...

Just wanted you to know I was inspired by one of your cards in your Flickr gallery last month and changed it a bit by adding some doodles to it for Jennifer McGuire's "sharing homemade kindness challenge" this month. It's over in my gratitude blog. It was your black and white danke card! Thank you for inspiring me!

Jinny Newlin said...

This is fantastic, Maria! Love your step-by-step! Such gorgeous color and texture... just stunning!

SD pooja said...

Its WONDERFUL !! Loved reading the step-by-step process :)

shirley-bee said...

Oh, this is fabulous! Funky bright colours, glittery snow banks, jaunty Santa hat - and I love how you made the bow, totally pinching that idea.

My Paper Epiphany said...

So you! I love the eclectic style and thanks for showing the process! I'm pinching the bow idea too!

Aileen said...

Fantastic tag Maria and brilliant tutorial. So much for sharing the how toos

Darnell said...

I do appreciate that you showed us the steps involved in making this extraordinary tag, Maria! All that effort was so worth it!! Hugs, Darnell

Susan said...

Adorable addition of the Santa hat and "ho ho ho" sentiment! Love the fabulous text paper hills and the gessoed birch trees!

Lee-Anne said...

Thanks for sharing all the details on your amazing tag, Maria! I love the colors and that Santa hat just makes me smile :)

Ksenija @Sweet Kobylkin said...

Maria, this is gorgeous! So much texture and elements. Love the birch trees against the pink background and snowbanks made of torn paper

Julia Aston said...

What a great tag Maria! love the trees, the wreath and the fun fur on Santa's hat!

Kim Heggins said...

AMAZing!!!! Love your wonderful tag.

Anita in France said...

Wow, this is amazing, Maria ... a little masterpiece of Christmassy goodness ... just a delight! Fabulous to see your creative process in action! Congratulations on guesting with Loll for her fabulous event! Hugs, Anita :)

cm said...

What fun to engage in your creative process! Consider your goal - a modern, fun tag, complete with a storyline - a resounding success! So wonderfully delightful....
Hugs~c

LesLee said...

so cute... I loved seeing your process. isn't it funny sometimes how it takes us in a different direction than we were intending... and to top it all off... your minnie mouse ribbon... so cute. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge LesLee xx

Lisa - papergrace said...

Ahhhh...such wonderful colors, details, dimension, and, yes, TEXTURE on your tag!! It's sublime. The colors are just so cheerful, as well. Beautifully designed, Maria. Thank you so much for joining us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge. xo

Rachel said...

gorgeous tag! but now i want some oreos :) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...