Wednesday, October 10, 2018

fun and festive at simon says stamp

There's a new release over at Simon Says Stamp today and if you're looking for new Christmas goodies or picture book animals you definitely need to check it out! Personally, they had me at "string of Christmas lights!"


I got the lovely set Winter Scene to play with and the first thing that came to my mind was "northern lights". So this is what I made. If you want the comedy of errors story behind it, keep reading.

Distress inks
white embossing powder
chunky glitter

Here's a close-up. Texture. Sparkle. Glitter. A peaceful night, right?


Here's how it came together. When inking the frame I got excess black ink on the recessed part and when I stamped it the black was right there in the middle of the "sky". Being too cheap to throw it away, I kept going since I was making a dark sky anyhoo. Thus the little black patch beneath the moon.

Stamped a mask and cut the sky area out with an exacto knife. Applied the distress inks (Salty Ocean, Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry, Twisted Citron, Black Soot) through the mask and spritzed with water droplets. Which of course leaked through the inky edges of the mask and left a blob outside the frame in the upper left corner. Thus the sentiment solution. And some water also landed on the snow hill and when I went to dab it away, the paper rubbed away too. Thus the deer placement and the chunky glitter.

In between those two faux pas... even though I used my embossing buddy on the sky before heat embossing the moon... you know the rest of the story. Thus the snowfall effect on the sky.

Just keeping it real, folks! Be sure to check out the blog hop with all the new products on Thursday and Friday over at Simon Says Stamp. I'm happy I got to have some "fun" with this new set.

I'm playing at:
Addicted to Stamps and More - Holiday
Winnie and Walter - Ink Blending challenge
SSS Flickr challenge - Add Dimension (yep, my sentiment solution!)

10 comments:

*Vicki* said...

Hello Maria! Wow, your background is absolutely GORGEOUS! I just love how it turned out especially with that bit of silver shimmer! Beautiful with these images and I need to take a look at that release! :) Thanks for sharing and for your kind support on my blog! HUGS

Susanne Vargas said...

You are really persistent and I am so glad that you found fabulous solutions for all your mishaps! You turned them into a fantastic card!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous sky for your scene card Maria. And I love that you didn't start over. almost any card can be rescued.

Anita in France said...

Catching up with all your recent cards, Maria ... finishing up with this delight! It was so worth all the work involved ... what an amazing background ... fabulous with the shimmer and outline images! Hugs, Anita :)

nancy littrell said...

Hee, hee...loved reading about your boo boo's. Even with or because of all that..your card Winter scene turned out beautifully and is just so sweet. Some of my favorite cards were because of an unattended embellishment or add on! TFS your story and card, Maria. Hugs, Nancy

Carol L said...

This is just stunning with that wonderful background! I love how it shimmers and it looks perfect with the black & white image!

Kim Heggins said...

simply stunning....gorgeous night sky!

Bobby said...

Happy accidents made your card a lovely winter scene, Maria. I'm glad you didn't start over.

Ruth said...

Sometimes I think cards turn out better if there's a dramatic story that requires lots of thinking to make it right. I LOVE where the sentiment ends up and the night sky is just stunning. My friend Lisa used this set and she made something very different. Shows how versatile these sets are :) xx

Marsha Reed said...

Wonderful card, Maria! Thanks for joining us at the ATSM Challenge this week. Marsha DT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...