Thursday, September 26, 2013

playing with crayons



Here to share one of my cards published in the latest special issue of Paper Crafts - Get Supply Savvy with Handmade Cards.  Have you checked out all the fun challenges over at Moxie Fab World associated with this issue?


I had lotsa fun making cards for this submission call, but my fave was playing with crayons.  I know it's not new, but I had never melted crayons before.  Like this.

I grabbed the kids' box of old crayons and set out to make something.  This is what evolved.


If you feel motivated to try this, a couple tips for ya.  TIP:  All crayons are not made equal.  Some melt quicker than others and are thus, soupier.  Just sayin'.  TIP::  Cover your workspace.  Well. ;) A picture is worth a thousand words, right?  This is the contraption I built to play with.  TIP:  If you paint your cardstock with white acrylic paint first it helps the wax to run even more.


And a nod to a couple cardmaking pals out there who also appear in this issue.  Did you see Kelly G.'s amazing bales of hay card?  Love that one.  And Miriam P. also played with soap bubbles mixed with ink (as I did in this post) and made a beaut.  So, only 230 other great projects waiting for you to check out in the issue :)


Supplies thanks:
Paper: cardbase Bringmann, scrap Neenah
Stamps:  
Ink:
Tools: heat gun, die Provo Craft
Other: old crayons

7 comments:

Michelle said...

So cool!

Jackie Rockwell said...

So glad you shared this card on your blog because I don't by magazines so I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. This is so painterly and very COOL!

shirley-bee said...

Ha, love the contraption - and the result!

Lindsey said...

Amazing! I'm so glad you shared and I loved your extra tips.

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

So cool !!!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

Arggh, I really need to figure out where my copy of this mag is ... I'm missing out! LOVE your crayon card! Like everyone else in the world, I've seen it on Pinterest so many times and never once thought of doing that on a card, but of course, it's perfect. Usually I pick up on things like that. Glad you did! And thanks for the shout-out too : )

Cris G. said...

Oh, boy, what strong and cool result! Just love this card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...