Saturday, October 1, 2016

guest designing at addicted to cas

You all know I'm all over the board when it comes to card styles. But the style that really knocks my socks off tends to be CAS. Or ultra-CAS. As the lady said:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” 
― Clare Boothe Luce

When I'm creating it's rare that an ultra-CAS sock-knocker-offer comes along, yielding that sophistication. Too often I need to get my own touch of humor or bold color into a design. Like on my card that won the "Harvest" challenge over at Addicted to CAS. But I keep trying ;) Today I've gone with bold color and CAS as I join the lovely and oh-so-talented designers at Addicted to CAS for this fortnight's fun challenge.



One of my favorite watercoloring mediums is still Distress Inks. Their properties and fabulous vivid tones never let me down. So I went back to an oldie but goodie technique. Smooshing. Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmelade and Seedless Preserves (how can you now love 'em with those namese?) tapped onto an acrylic block, spritzed with water and pressed onto cardstock.

Then I simply die cut a Spellbinders label 4 shape from the watercolored cardstock, stamped a nice and tall Inkadinkado image  partially onto it and also onto my cardbase (yes, a MISTI would be handy here I suppose). Adhered the die cut to the cardbase, aligning the image. Then I added a sentiment from Papertrey for frazzled kitty to stand on and voila!

Easy to recreate. Easy to mass produce. How about turning this design into a Christmas card? You could even add a touch of gold watercolor to the smooshing to make it festive.

I hope you've enjoyed my card and look forward to your CAS Watercolor projects in the ATCAS gallery!

BTW, have you heard? Loll and Bonnie are starting up a new challenge - CAS Watercolor. Check it out here. I think it's definitely time for you to pull out some watercolors and white cardstock ;)

12 comments:

Susanne Vargas said...

That is such a fun idea with the partial stamping of the cat on this gorgeous background! Love this! A perfect example how you can use a great technique and still make a CAS card!
How is the grape harvest going? Was it a good year?

cm said...

My Halloween-loving heart is swooning over this fantastic card! Your smooshing is most excellent; perfect background for that super cool cat!
Hugs~c

Mac Mable said...

Such a fun card. Love the cat and his tail, brought a smile to my face x

Loll said...

LOVE these colours ... and you will see that we are on the same wavelength too as I have used them for some postings coming up! :) Gorgeous smooshing and fantastic CAS design, my friend. Thanks for the shout out too! xx

Barb Ghig said...

Hi Maria ~ Congrats again on your well deserved win on the 'Harvest' challenge! I really love how you played with your DI's to create the background for this fabulous Halloween kitty! Another stunning CAS design, too...WOW!

Thank you again for being our Guest Designer for this challenge! It was fun to learn more about you, and to have your awesome card featured in the gallery!

Susan said...

Maria, What a beautiful background and I just love that cat! Thanks for joining us for this challenge. Terrific inspiration!

papierelle said...

Halloween ist nicht so mein Thema, aber die Umsetzung auf Deiner Karte ist großartig!!

Jaydee said...

Maria, that watercolored background is stunning and perfect for Halloween. Your cat is stunning and I love the way you placed him both on - and off - the watercolored area. Stunning card. So glad you joined us as GD!
Jaydee

Ksenija @Sweet Kobylkin said...

Maria, I am so glad you joined us for these two weeks as GD at Addicted to CAS! Always love to see your creations and to read your blog posts. (BTW, I didn't know you have a rabbit.) Amazing card and a brilliant idea to incorporate watercolour without really painting. I think I'll follow your advice and will CASE it for Christmas ;) - Sweet Kobylkin

Ashwini Rao said...

This is such an awesome card, Maria! Stunning!! Love the watercolor effect and the idea of the cat..with just the tail on the die cut piece..amazing..simply amazing!!

desperatehousewifecraft said...

Maria das ist sehr schön! Gorgeous smooshing!

SonjaK said...

Congrats to your guest design, Maria. So well deserved! Love your card design. Awesome overlap stamping (is it that what you call it?) with the cat image. And you've inspired me to take a look at my old Spellbinders dies again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...