Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ruff homage to kasia (SCS, Retro)





Have you seen Kasia C.'s card over at Retro Sketches #36?  One of my faves.  Ever.  Maybe  when you find a card that you go gaga over, it helps you define the kind of cardmaker you want to be.  (I know Wida has been giving this subject a lot of thought lately...)



So I analyzed why I love Kasia's card so much.  First, white space.  I am a total sucker for white space.  Next, the amazing bright and cheery colors.  Get me every time.  Then the element of unexpected - the piece of kraft up top and the washi and twine combo.  And finish it off with a killer sentiment - meaningful and a good font.

So why aren't all my cards like this?  Hmmm....  Maybe that's a subject for another sitting.   I have figured out that less is more - a small touch of PP can be better than covering an entire card in it.  IMO.  However, that doesn't put much of a dent in my stash.  Yikes.  It's a never-ending battle...

My card:

Not going to bore you with the details.  Except one... See the black strip at the top?  DD and friends had mutilated some pieces of PP while decorating school notebooks - punched circles and flowers pretty much all over the PP piece.  I was going to cut it apart to get my strip for the top when I thought, "Why cut it away?"  Use it.  Was it the "go for the unexpected" or my thriftiness at work?!?!?  Unfortunately I ended up covering up the cool spot where a flower had been punched with the vertical strip when I decided to put the "day" of the sentiment on the right edge.

Entering these challenges:
Papertrey MIM #90 - Sentiment Focal Point with dies and stamps
A Blog Named Hero #15 - Use a punched or die cut element
Retro Sketches - #36

This was my last creation for HYCCT.  (#1226 - Who let the dogs out).  Now to pack up 30-some cards and ship them off to TX.  Have a great day.



Supplies for ruff day:
Paper: cardbase Papermania,  PP KI memories
Stamps: Inkadinkado
Ink : Versacolor, Versafine
Tools: alpha die PTI, Spellbinders
Other: washi



7 comments:

Michelle said...

So cute, Maria! I like your hole-y black strip! It must be the time for CASEing, I've been acting on my inspiration recently too! :-)

Wida said...

Thank you for the shout out Maria. I am glad my ramblings are read by fellow bloggers. I think your work is like art. And your pictures are beautiful. I am officially a follower.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love your take on it...

Chris Dring said...

Fabulous card Maria! Love the way you used that punched/die cut up strip of black paper! Awesome job!

Unknown said...

you're an artist Maria. i love how you use your scraps in unexpected ways...oh to be so fearless! ;)

the barrister's bookcase that i showed in my post...it's in my dining room lol my craft room is a disaster...hurricane barb passed through...clean-up efforts have not been successful :'(

donna mikasa said...

Such an artistic take on the sketch and I LOVE the punched out portions! Savvy upcycling and a punny sentiment, too!

Anonymous said...

You really captured all the design elements that resinated with you. Great card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...