Wednesday, May 20, 2015

addicted to ... hummingbirds

When I saw the hummingbird stamp in The Birds and The Blooms, the current Stamp Club set from STAMPlorations, I knew it would grace my Dad's Father's Day card this year. But how?

I figured Dad would like a "simple" watercolor version since he thinks many of my designs are a bit "kooky". So I gave the no-line-watercoloring another go. Stamp the image with Antique Linen Distress Ink. Watercolor it. I used watercolor pencils since there were lots of tiny spaces. Geez Louise, this nearly killed me.


I googled "hummingbird illustration" and selected one that reminds me of the one who hangs out at Mom and Dad's. Enter my problem with spatial thinking again. The illustration was facing left. Mine is facing right. And so my creative session went!

I'm so not thrilled with the result, but the wonky black mat and that wonderful sentiment saved it for me. He's certainly not going to praise my watercoloring skills (he was a graphic artist) but maybe he'll be awed by his presents. This ridiculous thing for starters (thanks, Darnell K.) And a 7 lb. bag of corn cobs to go with it!

And I must practice or hang up my paint brush.

I'm joining the fun at:
Addicted to Stamps #145 where the light and airy birds and branches inspired me.



Addicted to CAS #63 where it's all about birds!


Happy Hump Day!

18 comments:

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Sweet!

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Ooops - I guess I should have added - thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

sandie said...

You are way too tough on yourself Maria, I think this is fabulous, the water colouring is excellent and I really like that there is a white space around the bird, looks like a shining light. Thanks for joining ATSM and don't hang up that paint brush!!

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Dreamy and elegant Maria. A fabulous take on the photo and love your water colours.
Thanks for playing along at ATSM. Sarah x

Lin said...

Maria, I came over to say thank you for the sweet words you left on my blog, and I'm so glad I did! You are too hard on yourself - this is lovely! Such a thoughtful card for your Dad, and I LOVE your gifts for him too - that feeder is too cute! My Daddy turns 95 tomorrow - aren't we lucky to still have these men in our lives?

alexandra s.m. said...

Beautiful card Maria!
Thanks~

Brandi said...

This is beautiful!!!

Darnell said...

Seriously, Maria, you must go stand in the corner with your nose pressed against the wall for being so hard on your beautiful hummingbird painting! I won't stand for it! I think this is amazing and very precious that it is going to your Dad, who will cherish it always. As well as the booby prize!! Please make sure someone videotapes his face when he opens it!! Hugs, Darnell

Happy Dance said...

It's lovely, and because you made it just for him, he'll treasure it! And a nice, comfy chair for those little squirrels...what a hoot! You should see MY watercoloring....bleccchhhh! Yours is lovely! Great card. Bev

Chriss Blagrave said...

I love this Maria! I agree with Darnell, wish I could do a no line as well as this!
The birthday presents will surely bring a big smile to all in attendance!

stressfreestamping said...

Wow, that's amazing! I think you did a great job! If I don't have a stamp that fits a challenge, I skip the challenge. lol I wish I was talented enough to watercolor my own images! Thanks for sharing with us at ATCAS. :)

Loll said...

I think it is beautiful. I have not tried the no-line watercolouring because I know that it will be challenging. If I had tried this image, it would have just ended up looking like a blob ... I know it! But your hummingbird is really beautiful. You did great! Love the black accents -- just perfect.

And that crazy thing is awesome! Trust Darnell to find these things! Gave me a laugh! xx

Deepti said...

This is beautiful, no line water coloring u did looks awesome :) thank you for sharing with ATCAS!

I Card Everyone said...

Please DO NOT hang it up, Maria... Dad will LOve it! I do, too...
=] Michele

Jaydee said...

so pretty. You did a great job with this very difficult technique. So glad you joined us at Addicted to CAS this week
Jaydee

SonjaK said...

Simply beautiful!

Anita in France said...

Dreamy watercolouring, Maria ... your little hummingbird is just a delight! Love that little squirrel chair too! Your Dad's sure to love both ... and all that corn! Anita :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...