Friday, March 2, 2012

bird lover's bday (alcohol inks)

Needed a card for a bird lover.  Knew that I wanted to use my Tim Holtz bird on a branch stamp.  But what to do with it?

Found this frame of Tammy's and loved it.  Don't have to ask me twice to get  messy with alcohol inks!  Here is my card.


Used packaging from a body lotion set.  Die cut the acetate for the first layer, a "frame" out of the chipboard for the second and a backing from textured CS for the third.

Stamped the bird on the front with Staz On.  Let the alcohol inks do their thing on the backside of the acetate.  Colored birdie's breast with a Q-tip.  Stamped French text on the frame.  And some grungy dots onto the backing and card base.  Inked edges with Distress Inks.

I used glue dots to attach the acetate - visible if you look closely, but the alcohol ink bubbles look like dots too.  Mounted whole focal image with dimensionals.  Put the bday sentiment on the inside after stamping some grungy dots there too.

Linking up to the Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp.

Happy Friday.


Supplies :
Paper: card base Buttinnette, CS American Crafts, recycled packaging
Stamps: Tim Holtz, script CHF
Ink:  alcohol inks, Stazon
Tools: die Spellbinders
Other:



10 comments:

  1. I love this, it's incredible Maria! Gorgeous color and technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your coloring is astounding! So vibrant and alive! It was a complex process but SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet card and great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I would LOVE to see a video with you doing this. Do you do videos? If not, seems like now is a good time to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ann, I have difficulties getting a good photo. Don't think videos are in my near future! A brief explanation of my technique:
      1. let a few drops of alcohol ink fall onto the acetate and let them dry 30 seconds
      2. took one drop of blending solution on felt on an applicator tool and pounced on the drops a little bit to "spread" the color out
      3. tried not to completely mix/muddle the colors
      4. repeated where there were still empty areas

      It's hard to ruin this process, but you can always "erase" your mistake with blending solution.

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous. A beautiful background for the bird image. I've never experimented with alcohol inks, but this might just inspire me to try! :) Ann Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I so love to play with alcohol inks but I don't think I have tried this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that's how you made it...brilliant and recycled some acetate too :0) love the concealed glue dots very clever.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Maria this is absolutely gorgeous, fab recycling & technique, love the colours :)
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
    hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead... make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...